Recently there have been a lot of stories in the news both online and elsewhere about an increase in false widow spider bites. This, coupled with the fact that the spiders seem to be spreading like wildfire, is obviously concerning to a lot of people.
We are currently tracking sightings of the false widow spider in the UK using our False Widow Spider Sighting Map.
In this article I would like to try and give you as much information as possible about false widow spiders bites, so that you can be prepared if you ever should come into contact with a false widow spider at home or indeed elsewhere.
Most Dangerous Spider in the UK
The false widow spider is the most venomous known spider in the UK. Most people seem to be under the impression that being in the UK you are safe from dangerous spiders, however that is not true.
There are 12 different varieties of biting spider known to be living in the UK, however of all of them the false widow spider is by far the most dangerous. It is the most venomous spider in the UK.
False Widow Spider Bites: The Facts
For most people, if they were to get bitten by a false widow spider, the effect would be similar to a bee or a wasp sting. It is painful and may cause swelling, redness and discomfort that will eventually settle down.
However, for those that are allergic to the venom of the false widow spider, the effects can be much more dramatic, and in some cases potentially life threatening.
There have been several reported cases recently where false widow spider bites have swelled up so much and become so painful that people have had to undergo surgery to have the poison removed.
This can be a painful procedure and if the poison has spread can often result in people having to have a lot of tissue removed to get rid of all of the poison.
What to do if You Get Bitten?
If you or someone around you gets bitten by a false widow spider. The first thing you need to do is remove the spider to make sure it doesn’t attack again or bite anyone else in the area.
You then need to assess how the person bitten is reacting to the venom. As stated previously, most people will react in the same way they would to a regular bee or wasp sting. However if the situation worsens, there is excess swelling, discolouration, or pain, medical advice should be sort immediately.
If you are in any doubt it is always best to seek professional medical advice.